Thursday, October 8, 2009

PLN Week 7

http://www.soyouwanttoteach.com/school-administrators-the-real-world-have-the-ever-really-met/

This is a link that I got off of the Blog "So You Think You Can Teach" that I thought is such a good topic. Why are school administrators so out of touch with the school teachers?

Growing up with two teacher parents I have seen the best and worst of the administrative part of education. And I know that when an administrator is in touch with the people that they oversee, everything runs more smoothly.

The reason I bring this point up is because of a cycle that I noticed. If the best performers make the best educators, then by association shouldn't the best educators make the best administrators? I mean, once you understand how your employees work, you become more knowledgeable and your work environment improves tremendously.

However contrary it is also a little known fact (that I have found from my parents) that it is in fact the worst teachers who become administrative staff. I think that this article shows just some of the things that administrators should be aware of. There are too many situations that teachers should not have to deal with. Those situations would not exist if the administration would properly do their job.

Despite some weakness in the articles arguments for bad administration, I felt that the article raises some awareness to what is going on in our schools.

1 comment:

tkuntz said...

Hi Ian-

This is a good site to get a head's up on what life can be like in the classroom. Please know that all situations are different. Some administrators are supportive and willing to help you create a decent program. Get as many experiences as you can now so you will more aware of what you might see after graduation.