Monday, September 8, 2008

4th Hour Blog

An appropriate question for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is, “What doesn’t it offer?” Aside from the obvious answer, it contains many iconic pieces of history. From props in music videos, to guitars and drums, even to original records, the Hall of Fame is home to a great history of music.
But what is so great about Britney Spears’ outfit? And who was the genius that let The Backstreet Boys have an exhibit? These are not breakthrough artists! These are not bands that have reshaped the musical world. I mean is Nick Lachey really comparable to Michael Jackson? In any way I think not.
So what causes this rift in musical option? I completely recognize that opinions and tastes differ, and respect all of them. But what is it that makes the jacket from thriller more iconic than a stool that Madonna sat on? Why am I drawn to a saxophone played by Stephen Kupka of Tower of Power rather than the shoes of Elton John?
A fourth hour activity seems pivotal in discovering why this is. What is it about certain artists that people enjoy and that others despise? Just watching where people go first in the museum will be an adequate way to start off this experiment.
As for the other suggested activities, I am drawn to two of them; the Cavs game and the Museum of Art. These are maybe the two most different activities that could interest me, but they have really griped me into looking further into them.
A Cavs game would be easy to do. Looking into each decision that a player makes and seeing what his thought process might have been. Analyzing his approach and furthermore the result of his actions. Another thing that can be looked at is the “team approach”. How each team pulls off their respective plays, and how each team reacts to different strategies by the opponent could be explored further. And let’s not forget, all of these situations are all split second decisions, making incites and predictions hard to make.
The Art Museum was originally my least favorite. But after taking everything into account, I think it could be some fun. What makes something a luxury? I believe it is something that is rare and hard to attain. A leather chair, I mean a real leather chair, is a luxury. One that feels already broken in and makes you feel all warm and gooey inside. However I do not see a cell phone as a luxury. In the times that we live in a cell phone has become a necessity. Looking at all the objects and deciding whether or not they could benefit me would be a fun fourth hour activity to do.
I believe that no matter what, I would be able to find something interesting to do no matter what activity we pick.
That’s it. Signing out,
Phluph

1 comment:

Taneisha_Deans said...

I really like how you compared the different artical of items in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I am from Cleveland and it took me a long time before I went there. I just went last year and I really did enjoy the wall of signatures. A lot of the people there, I did not know. It would be interesting to learn more about the artist, but also to know what the people was thinking about when they chose to induct these people.
Also, I like how you explain the two activites, but I would like to know more about the art. I am not a very artistic person, so it would be nice to know how these everyday items that we use can be seen as being luxury.