Friday, November 6, 2009

PLN Week 11

Krumping. Or Krump. This is actually an acronym for Kingdom Radically Uplifted Mighty Praise. It is a dance craze that has kept many teens out of trouble and turning their anger into a positive art form.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krumping
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-kSNy0yAGY
http://www.rickey.org/?p=25649 at about 45 sec.

Krumping was invented in Compton as a way for young men to express themselves without resorting to violence. The movement of krump is very large, arms and hands flail about, feet move in every direction, and the style is intense.

I am so fascinated by this style. There are many ways to keep kids out of trouble, i.e. music, but this dance style has done something that is innovative. It has used the rage of young teens and lets them express it through dance. They can still punch, but now the punch has a meaning because it is done with musicality and technique.

I am so happy that I found this style of dance. Dance has always fascinated me because it is one of the only things that I know of where someone is trying to outdo music. I hope this style grows into something special.

2 comments:

tkuntz said...

This is interesting. It seems to be a version of hip-hop. While is designed to allow teens to deflect their anger through a creative outlet, it encourages improvisation and positive social acceptance.

damonharvey said...

This is hilarious Ian! I feel like I heard the students talking about this craze at a marching band camp I worked at last year. Whend did Krumping begin? It is probably growing in popularity and I would love for you to demonstrate some of these dance moves. Thank you for keeping me updated about the newest trend and for providing the websites so that I can study-up myself.

-Damon