Thursday, November 19, 2009

Readings Week 13

This weeks readings were centered around "Assistive Technology" or AT for short.

AT is technology that has been mechanically enhanced for individuals with physical or mental impairments. AT can be anything homemade, purchased off the shelf, modified, or commercially available which is used to help an individual perform some task of daily living. AT includes a broad range of devices from "low tech" (e.g., pencil grips, splints, paper stabilizers) to "high tech" (e.g., computers, voice synthesizers, braille readers).

Musically, AT is starting to show an impact, especially with the "Soundbeam".

SoundBeam is a device that converts physical movement into sound. So people who are stationary, and confined to a wheelchair can make music. Without getting too scientific, the higher pitches are played when the person is farther away from the receiver and lower pitches are played when they are closer.

From the example video it appears that the sounds move in scale degrees, but I am sure that there are other programs that can change that. I can say in confidence that I am happy to see this program working out.

My views on special education aside, I think that AT can be very useful for disabled individuals. I like how simple AT can be; it does not need to be advanced or well planned. All AT has to be is a way to make technology easier to use.

In my future classroom, I think I will use AT all of the time. I like to solve problems in innovative ways, so I think that AT will become a staple in my curriculum. I know I can find interesting ways to utilize AT in many of my teaching strategies.

1 comment:

Bill Bauer said...

I believe that in the coming years, technologies such as SoundBeam will become more commonplace. As educators, we need to stay abreast of these developments so that we can help individuals with mental and physical challenges participate in musical experiences. Music is a part of being human; all people should have the opportunity to be musical.